Languages : French, English
Château de la Barben
Route Du Château
13330 La Barben
- Phone : 04 90 55 25 41
- Fax : 04 90 55 42 75
Anchored on its rock, the Château de la Barben stands in a grandiose setting of greenery and water. It was first mentioned in 1064, in a cartulary in St. Victor’s Abbey in Marseille. It is a mediaeval fortress, once the property of King René who sold it to Jean de Forbin in 1474. In 1630, part of it was destroyed during the Cascavéous popular uprising against the centralisation of taxation, after which the Forbin family gradually turned it into a country house.
The castle has three activities on offer, including two guided tours (each lasting 1 hour):
- A tour of the castle, with riddles and puzzles for children and a surprise on the way out: a tour of twelve richly furnished and decorated rooms with guides in period costume.
- A mediaeval tour of the lower chambers with Sir Thibault: see the old bread oven, the guardrooms and mediaeval weaponry.
- A paper trail around the castle: in nine stages, solve the riddle and win a surprise gift at the end of the trail.
The castle also hosts other ad hoc events such as torchlight tours in summer, special events to mark national Heritage Days, a drawing competition at Halloween etc.
4-star B&B and table d’hôtes in the castle itself, gîte rated as 2 “ears of corn” nearby.
The castle is also available for seminars, weddings etc.
For your comfort and convenience
- Postcard shop
- Internet access
- Visite guidée
- Picnic Area
- Book shop
- Workshops for children
- Entrée from 0 €
Open on : from Saturday to Sunday from 14h to 18h, from 30 September 2015 to 11 October 2015
Open on : from Monday to Sunday from 11h to 18h, from 19 October 2015 to 11 November 2015
(Subject to confirmation)
Conditions of access
Autoroute A7 sortie Salon-de-Provence.
Route D572, entre Pélissanne et Saint-Cannat